Thursday, September 4, 2008

Time to rethink public transit

Time to rethink public transit

I couldn't help but fire off a response to Randall Denley on this morning's article. He insists we need to gather 'all the facts' before proceeding on investment in transit. Then he fails to even mention the incredible subsidy provided to all car users; the roads.

Here is what I had to say to him this morning.

Randall,
I am hoping to have time to write a proper 'letter to the editor' response on this one.

I fully agree with you that we should be making these kinds of decisions being fully apprised of the facts. However, in your cursory analysis I believe you, like every other commentator I have read on this subject, fail to mention one of the biggest subsidies provided for automobile users; the provision of a road system. Yes, buses use roads, but they are completely overwhelmed by the sheer volume of cars.

And, I know, car users pay a vast array of taxes directly related to their auto use, but, the question is, do these taxes fully pay for the capital and operating costs of these roads?

Also, no one ever points out the imposition of the massive space required by all these cars. Is it any wonder that our cities lack population density when every person of voting age seems 'driven' to bring their own two tons of metal with them? A car sits idle for more than 90% of its lifetime, but we have to find space for all of them 100% of the time. They require a road to drive on, as well as a parking space at home. Such parking requirements put immense pressure on the design of our urban space. In my years of participation with my local community association, the number one question that always comes up revolves around traffic congestion. Yet, time and again, people drive to these public meetings to voice their complaint without every seeing the irony.

Yes, lets gather ALL the facts. Once compiled I believe they will state the obvious that providing sufficient infrastructure at public expense to enable everyone to own a vehicle that will provide for all of their transportation needs is much more costly than having a long term vision of redesigning our urban environments to reduce car use. Mass transit will never compete with sheer convenience of having a car in your driveway and a set of keys in your hand. My point is that the cost of providing such convenience should be born fully by the car user, not the taxpayer.

I am like you, I want to know all the facts. Lets gather them.

Leonard Poole
Overbrook

No comments:

Post a Comment