Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Remembering Dad


One person who will be traveling with me on my upcoming southbound journey, at least in spirit, will be my dad, Frank Poole. Dad passed away this past spring, age 89. It was from him that I first began to learn of the joys of cycling. I remember as a child he would tell me about his biking adventures as a young boy growing up during the depression in Montreal.  He would cycle more than 20 miles to go to his favourite swimming hole.  Later, his first job was as a bicycle messenger, earning ten cents an hour. He gave me my first defensive cycling trip, which I carry with me to this day.  "You may have the right of way", he would advise, "but they have the right of weight."  Without dad's support, I wouldn't be making this trip.

Dad's final years were spent at the Rideau Perley Veterans Home in Ottawa. I really cannot speak highly enough of this amazing facility. All of their staff, whether in the kitchen, medical, management, or housekeeping are professionals who show the utmost respect for the residents and their families. I dare not name one person, for fear of leaving anyone out. It is a wonderfully caring institution and deserves our ongoing support.  For this reason, I will be donating a nickel for every kilometer I pedal on my upcoming journey south.  If you are familiar with Perley, & appreciate what they do, please consider making a pledge in support of this outstanding facility through their foundation.   If you do, please let me know, so I can track it on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment