Monday, August 27, 2012

My First Observed Presidential Election Sign

2012 - America VS Obama
 
This was the first sign that caught my eye regarding the U.S. presidential election.  It started me thinking.  If America (at least, apparently, some Americans) are against Obama the other part of this message, albeit unstated, is that Obama is against America. The logical outcome of this would be that Obama is not only Un-American, but ultimately anti-American.  I saw two of these signs outside homes just east of Dunkirk, New York as I cycled along SR 5. It struck me as quite a divisive "Us versus Them" message. What I found particularly ironic was that I saw these signs only a couple of hours after reading a news article about how  "Romney accuses Obama of running a campaign of anger and divisiveness."

I know I've missed some of Obama's speeches, but he has never struck me as one who engages in "anger and divisiveness". If anything, one of the criticisms I hear about him is that he endevours too often to portray himself as the great compromiser., who seeks to "reach his hand across the aisle."   Perhaps I have misinterpreted these signs. I am certainly open to an alternate explanation of their meaning.

Now I am really curious to see more roadside signs as I travel south.

No comments:

Post a Comment